Deadline: March 25, 2018
All scholarship applications are submitted online.
Applications accepted from February 1 to March 25, 2018.
Instructions and tips for making online submissions (PDF)
The Bess Whitehead Scott Journalism Scholarship was established in 1991 to honor Bess W. Scott, a pioneering Texas journalist and writer who died in 1997 at age 107. She had a long career as a newspaper reporter and editor, publicist, teacher, ad agency manager and magazine writer. The $2,000 award (as of 2018) is granted annually to a junior or senior university student pursuing a degree in journalism or a related field.
- Must be currently enrolled at one of the following universities:
- Baylor University
- Sam Houston State University
- Texas A & M University
- Texas State University
- University of Mary Hardin-Baylor
- University of North Texas
- Must be a junior or senior in the fall semester of the same calendar year as the application deadline.
- Must be pursuing study toward a degree in journalism or a related field
- Must demonstrate financial need
Fields of Study
- Mass Communication
- Radio-Television-Film, or
- similar designation
Use of Scholarship
Money will be paid directly to the university for credit to the student account of the winner.