Deadline: March 1, 2018
New! Online applications now available!
(No more filling out paper applications or mailing writing samples)
Instructions and tips for making online submissions (PDF)
The Bess Whitehead Scott Journalism Scholarship was established in 1991 to honor Bess W. Scott, a pioneering Texas journalist and writer who died in 1997 at age 107. She had a long career as a newspaper reporter and editor, publicist, teacher, ad agency manager and magazine writer. The $1,500 award is granted annually to a junior or senior university student pursuing a degree in journalism or a related field.
- Must be currently enrolled at one of the following universities:
- Baylor University
- Sam Houston State University
- Texas A & M University
- Texas State University
- University of Mary Hardin-Baylor
- University of North Texas
- Must be a junior or senior in the fall semester of the same calendar year as the application deadline.
- Must be pursuing study toward a degree in journalism or a related field
- Must demonstrate financial need
Fields of Study
- Mass Communication
- Radio-Television-Film, or
- similar designation
Use of Scholarship
Money will be paid directly to the university for credit to the student account of the winner.