Deadline: February 7, 2014
See Guidelines and Application Form (PDF)
The Bess W. Scott Scribes Scholarship was established in 2000 to honor Bess Whitehead Scott, a pioneer Texas journalist and writer who died at age 107. She had a long career as a newspaper reporter and editor, publicist, teacher, ad agency manager and magazine writer. The $1,500 award is granted annually to an individual age 40 or over pursuing study or a degree in journalism, writing or a related field. The scholarship program is intended to provide financial assistance to further educational objectives of individuals either employed or making career transitions in these areas.
- Current resident of the State of Texas.
- Demonstrate interest in pursuing study toward degree or career advancement in journalism, writing or a related field.
- Age 40 or over on date, month and year of application deadline.
- Demonstrate financial need
Fields of Study
- Journalism/Mass Communication
- Creative writing
- English composition/writing skills
- Public relations/advertising
- Accredited course work for professional development/career advancement in journalism/writing/related field, including Internet-based activities.
Use of Scholarship
Work toward accredited college/university degree, continuing education, Writing residencies/internships, College/university accredited online or liberal studies programs not requiring on-site attendance. Winner need not use entire amount at time award is received; may use award in stages as classes, workshops, etc. are taken.
Application form (PDF) MUST be printed. The completed application form—with attachments—should be postmarked no later than the first Friday in February to be considered for funding beginning with the summer or fall semester of that calendar year.
Send applications to:
Austin Community Foundation
ATTN: Scott Scribes Scholarship
4315 Guadalupe, Suite 300
Austin, Texas 78751
For more information about the scholarships, contact Jorjanna Price at email@example.com or 512.444.4950.
All applicants will be notified of the results.